Checklist for Louisiana Divorce Planning
Divorce is an emotional event. The following is a checklist to help you get started pulling together your financial, legal and tax information. Gather as much of this information prior to separating as possible, as you may have difficulty retrieving it after the separation occurs. This checklist is an example, and may not be everything you will need in your particular case.
Keepsakes and other items you are attached to and cannot replace
- Move them to a secure location
- Document their condition with photos
- Keep a list of what you removed from the home
- Child’s full name
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- Where the child has lived for the past 6 months
- Date of Marriage
- City and State where you were married
- Determine if this is a covenant marriage
- Date of Separation (if you and you spouse have already separated)
- Address of the last residence you lived together as husband and wife
You should gather the following documents, copy and keep them in a place that you can access if you are suddenly prohibited from returning to your home:
- Copies of titles or registrations for motor vehicles (you may need the VIN #. model, year, mileage and a general idea of the vehicle’s condition to determine values)
- Deeds, bills of sale for significant items such as cars, 4 wheelers, real estate (including legal descriptions), boats,
- Bank Account numbers and balances
- Investment account numbers and balances, including copies of portfolios
- Retirement accounts, including retirement and pension accounts through an employer
- Health Savings accounts
- Mortgages and balances
- Stock Option Statements
- Frequent Flyer Miles Statements
- Credit card statements showing recent balances/ account numbers
If there is a business involved:
- Tax returns for the business including any K-1s for the past 5 years
- Shareholder/member agreements
- Balance sheets for the last 5 years
- Identify where the business banks- get account numbers
- Identify the CPA firm that handles the books (this may be included in the tax return)
- Employment contracts and non-compete agreements
Documents concerning the income of both you and your spouse:
- Tax returns AT LEAST the last 5 years
- A recent paystub
- Employment contracts and covenants not to compete
- Lists of home furnishings, artwork, jewelry. Photograph if possible.
- Appraisals of any items of value if they have been done in the past
- Life insurance policies with policy numbers
Prior legal documents
- Prenuptial or marital agreements
- Prior divorce documents
- Powers of attorney
- Trust documents
Debts List all the debts and get up to date account balances.
- Credit cards
- Bank loans
- Student loans
- Auto loan/lease payments
- Mortgages/home equity loans
Inventory any safety deposit boxes-photograph or copy the contents.
Organize your lists into three sections: 1) Items you owned/owed prior to the marriage; 2) items your spouse owned/owed prior to the marriage; 3) items accumulated and debts incurred during the marriage.
Schedule a consultation to get started today.
[Veteran Pension and Medicaid Planning] I and my family are very pleased with the result of our association with Goff and Goff. Their expertise in the area of elder law [and] estate planning was just what we were looking for. Their patience with me concerning my many worries and questions was very much appreciated. They really care about their clients. JGG 11.13.18
Mr. Goff personally helped me when I was facing a possible felony, his work was extremely efficient and he kept me well updated throughout the process. Mr. Goff clearly explained all of my options and advised me on everything that I should do in order to overcome the charges. I would highly recommend Goff & Goff Attorneys to anyone that is in need of legal advice. Mr. Goff managed to make a very difficult situation easier to cope with as I was well informed and knew exactly where I stood. 5 out of 5 stars! EA 11.8.2018
I had been struggling with some questions concerning my mom and her house for a few months. I had talked to people, social workers...lawyers...friends and family and no one could give me any concrete answers. I was searching for someone that might be able to answer my specific questions, found Mr. Goff doing a google search and I am so thankful to him who within a few minutes was able to answer the questions that I had been struggling with. If you are looking for an elder law attorney, please give him a call, I don't think that you will be disappointed.5 of 5 stars. DC 10.24.18.
My case has been ongoing for the past 4 years with no results, until I decided on Goff & Goff Law Firm. My prayers were answered, and you accomplished in 1 year what others could not succeed in doing. I am so very grateful you accepted my case. I would like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude and thanks for representing. 5 of 5 stars. RA 9.28.17.
Excellent. I hired Ms. Goff for a name change there was some complications on my end but Ms Goff was professional, responsive and did everything I could ask for from a lawyer. 5 of 5 stars. Ab 10.12.17.
This Law firm is well Established. With that being said, the key to any Law firm is Production. This is what I can truly say as a proud client of this firm. They have caring hearts, & caring Hands with their clients. Humbly submitted, 5 of 5 stars. AC 7.6.14
"Child Custody. Ms Shelley was outstanding!!! I highly recommend her. I was seeking help with visitation and ended up getting my son completely. My life has changed completely because of Ms Shelley. She has shown me that fathers have just as much rights to their child as mothers do. This was a learning and life changing experience. Thank you Ms Shelley A. Goff. 5 of 5 stars. T 6.28.16"
"Excellent Attorney. I’m highly pleased with Mr. Goff's services, the diligence and expertise he provided were excellent. I would not hesitate to use him in the future. Mr. Goff handled my case personally, the diligence and expertise he provided excelled above and beyond my expectations. He took time to address any issues or concerns I had, provided guidance, and made sure I was informed of everything taking place throughout the suit. I'm highly pleased with the services. 5 of 5 stars. CS 10.3.2017"
"Passion. Attorney Goff had such grace and compassion for me during a very difficult time I faced. He told me what I needed to do during one of the most emotional moments in my life. Add, Thank you for being and Man of God and a total professional. I can see why you are successful, it is your love of people. Thank you! 5 of 5 stars. GW 10.12.17"
"I used both Shelley and Addison for various domestic issues including a divorce and legal aspects of estate management including a will. I was extremely pleased with both. Their work was consistently professional, timely, and clear. I was able to understand all my legal options as they provided including their recommendations based on their vast legal experience. 5 of 5 stars. JK 10.12.17"