What if my spouse and I want to resolve the matter out of court?

Resolving the matter out of court often is best for everyone involved.  With limited exceptions, couples that are going through a divorce can agree to about anything they want, as long as it does not adversely affect their children.  One way to go about this is to participate in a process called mediation. In that situation the parties hire a neutral, third-party mediator to try to help the couple narrow and resolve as many of the custody, visitation, child support, alimony (spousal support) issues as they can before court.  The mediator, usually a lawyer, does not offer legal advice, but rather facilitates discussions between the parties.  Either side may have their own lawyer present (or “on call”) if they like, but such is not required.  Resolving matters through mediations is often less expensive for the parties than fighting it out in court, and it gives the parties more control of their future, which may otherwise be decided by a judge. 

 © Goff and Goff Attorneys, P.C. 2018  All rights reserved. Any reproduction or retransmission of the contents of this website without our prior written consent is prohibited.