Injuries from Car Wrecks & Dangerous Products

Injuries from Car Wrecks & Dangerous Products

If you have been in a car wreck, you probably have questions. The Ruston Lawyers at Goff and Goff have answers.

How much do I settle my auto repair claim for?
You will need to get at least one estimate on the cost t fix your car. The insurance company should pay the reasonable cost to repair your car or the vehicle’s fair market value, which ever is less.Fair market value means what you could have sold the car for just before the accident, given its age, mileage, and condition. The NADA Official Used Car Guide contains such information on recent model cars and can be found at most bookstores, libraries, and banks. The value of older cars can be determined by looking at classified ads or consulting car dealers. Your property damage insurance may include a deductible, which means you must pay a portion of the repair bill. If the other driver’s insurance pays for your property damage, there will be no deductible. (But see also Diminution of Value and Loss of Use Claims below.) If an insurance company does not timely and fairly pay your property damage claim and has no good reason for withholding payment, then the law may allow you to recover penalties and attorneys fees under some circumstances.
Even though my car's going to be repaired it's still going to be worth less. That's not fair.
If your car was involved in a collision, the mere fact that it has now “been in a wreck” may reduce the resale value of the car. You are entitled to recover for that, if it can be proved. Often insurance company adjusters will not agree to pay you for this loss unless and until you have hired a lawyer.
How can I get a rental car?
The other driver’s liability insurance company should provide you with a rental car after accepting responsibility for the accident.Your own auto insurance policy may include a provision for rental and towing expenses. You may use this coverage if there is a dispute over who caused the accident or if the other driver is not insured.You may also have a “Loss of Use” claim, which compensates you for your time without a car. Often insurance company adjusters will not agree to pay you for this loss unless and until you have hired a lawyer.
I can't work, so who is going to pay my bills?
There is no easy answer to this question. Eventually, the settlement of your case should include payment for your lost wages. Usually, the faster you hire legal counsel, the faster your claim can be resolved.
Which doctor do I see, and how do I pay him?
You may have already been to the emergency room or have visited your own family physician. However, many folks consult with a specialist if their injuries do not resolve quickly. If you have injured your neck or back, suffered broken bones or injuries to a joint, you may choose to consult a chiropractor. Ultimately, the other driver at fault in your collision should pay for your damages, including your medical bills. Your own health insurance and/or “Med Pay” portion of your auto policy can help pay your medical bills until your case is finally settled. However, if your insurance pays your medicals, then you may have to pay them back out of any settlement or recovery you get.
How much should I settle my injury claim for?
The amount of your settlement against another driver who is at fault will depend on the severity of your injuries, the amount of insurance coverage available to you and an analysis of the cause of the accident. Louisiana law provides that injury victims can recover for harms and losses such as:

•Past and future lost wages.

•Medical expenses.

•Pain and suffering.

•Disfigurement and physical impairment.

Spouses and children can also recover for some of the damage they sustained due to a loved one’s injuries. If you were driving and did not have car insurance at the time of the wreck or if you were convicted of DWI from the wreck, then your rights to recover may be significantly restricted. An attorney can help you evaluate your case and help you obtain the best settlement.

How long will it take to resolve my claim?
Generally, your property damage claim can be resolved relatively quickly and you can settle your claim for bodily injury at a later date. When a case is finally settled you will have to sign a release that waives your right to make any future recovery against the individual and the insurance company responsible for your accident in return for a sum of money. It is important to note that there is a “Prescriptive Period for all cases (called a Statute of Limitations in other states), which generally requires that you file a lawsuit within one year from the date of your injury. Failure to have a properly drafted lawsuit filed at the right court house and within the time period required by law will result in loss of your claim. However, you do not have to have your case settled within these time periods, you merely must have a lawsuit filed. The time limits to file suit vary, and it is imperative that you remember there is a deadline.Always consult an attorney to determine the deadline to file your particular case. Often the lawsuit takes time to investigate and properly prepare for filing, so it is critically important that you not wait until the last minute to contact a lawyer to represent you. Also, remember that once you settle, it is over. If your injuries worsen over time or you don’t discover a particular injury until after you settle your case, then you are not allowed to recover for that injury.
What are my rights if a loved one is killed?
There are special laws in Louisiana concerning the rights of spouses, parents, or children of a person killed or injured in an accident. No amount of money can make up for the loss of a family member, but these laws provide for the recovery of funeral expenses, medical bills, wages that would have been earned and mental anguish suffered by the survivors. These are commonly called “Wrongful Death” and “Survival” claims.
What if I get sued?
If you have been sued or an injured person makes a claim against you, contact your insurance company immediately. Often this can be done by contacting the local insurance agency who sold you the insurance policy. Your auto liability policy provides in most circumstances an attorney to represent you and your insurance company if you are sued because of a wreck you were in.
Understanding Your Insurance Coverage
Liability-Defends you if someone makes a claim against you.This coverage is required by law.

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist- Will pay you if the wreck was the other driver’s fault and he/she does not have liability insurance or not enough insurance for your injuries.This coverage is required by law UNLESS you waive it.

Collision- Pays the cost of repairing your car or the fair market value; whichever is less, minus a deductible.

Medial Payments Coverage- Pays your medical bills up to a certain limit.

Towing/Rental- Pays for the cost of towing your vehicle and renting a replacement auto.

You may not have all of these coverages included in your auto policy and certain coverages have limits on how much they will pay.Consult your insurance agent or an attorney with questions about your insurance coverage.

What if the other driver has no insurance?
If the other driver has no insurance, you should review your insurance to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage is insurance designed to pay you for your losses if the other driver has no insurance or not enough insurance. You may also need to hire an attorney to make sure the other driver does not have insurance or other assets to pay your claim.
Do I need an attorney?
You may not need an attorney if you are not injured and if the insurance company has fairly and quickly settled your claim. However, in many cases involving personal injuries, an attorney is necessary to protect your legal rights.Most attorneys charge a contingent fee in accident cases, meaning they are paid a portion of your recovery (usually 33% to 40%, depending on the complexity of the case). If you do not recover any money, there is usually no fee for the lawyer’s time, although you still may be responsible for expenses incurred during the litigation, such as court costs.
Choosing a personal injury attorney
Choosing a personal injury attorney? You should consider the following:


You should not have to pay legal fees unless your case is settled or a recovery is obtained for you.  In most injury cases, Goff and Goff charges a legal fee only if you recover money for your injury.


You need a qualified attorney who will meet with you and discuss your case free of charge.  The attorneys at Goff and Goff offer free consultations on most civil injury cases.


Most importantly, you need an attorney with experience in your type of case.  The lawyers at Goff and Goff have over 80 years of combined legal experience and have represented hundreds of clients injured in automobile collisions.

[Veteran Pension and Medicaid Planning] I and my family are very pleased with the result of our association with Goff and Goff. Their expertise in the area of elder law [and] estate planning was just what we were looking for. Their patience with me concerning my many worries and questions was very much appreciated. They really care about their clients. JGG 11.13.18

Mr. Goff personally helped me when I was facing a possible felony, his work was extremely efficient and he kept me well updated throughout the process. Mr. Goff clearly explained all of my options and advised me on everything that I should do in order to overcome the charges. I would highly recommend Goff & Goff Attorneys to anyone that is in need of legal advice. Mr. Goff managed to make a very difficult situation easier to cope with as I was well informed and knew exactly where I stood. 5 out of 5 stars!  EA 11.8.2018

I had been struggling with some questions concerning my mom and her house for a few months. I had talked to people, social workers...lawyers...friends and family and no one could give me any concrete answers. I was searching for someone that might be able to answer my specific questions, found Mr. Goff doing a google search and I am so thankful to him who within a few minutes was able to answer the questions that I had been struggling with. If you are looking for an elder law attorney, please give him a call, I don't think that you will be disappointed.5 of 5 stars. DC 10.24.18.

My case has been ongoing for the past 4 years with no results, until I decided on Goff & Goff Law Firm. My prayers were answered, and you accomplished in 1 year what others could not succeed in doing. I am so very grateful you accepted my case. I would like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude and thanks for representing. 5 of 5 stars. RA 9.28.17.

Excellent. I hired Ms. Goff for a name change there was some complications on my end but Ms Goff was professional, responsive and did everything I could ask for from a lawyer. 5 of 5 stars. Ab 10.12.17.

This Law firm is well Established. With that being said, the key to any Law firm is Production. This is what I can truly say as a proud client of this firm. They have caring hearts, & caring Hands with their clients. Humbly submitted, 5 of 5 stars. AC 7.6.14

"Child Custody. Ms Shelley was outstanding!!! I highly recommend her. I was seeking help with visitation and ended up getting my son completely. My life has changed completely because of Ms Shelley. She has shown me that fathers have just as much rights to their child as mothers do. This was a learning and life changing experience. Thank you Ms Shelley A. Goff. 5 of 5 stars. T 6.28.16"

"Excellent Attorney. I’m highly pleased with Mr. Goff's services, the diligence and expertise he provided were excellent. I would not hesitate to use him in the future. Mr. Goff handled my case personally, the diligence and expertise he provided excelled above and beyond my expectations. He took time to address any issues or concerns I had, provided guidance, and made sure I was informed of everything taking place throughout the suit. I'm highly pleased with the services. 5 of 5 stars. CS 10.3.2017"

"Passion. Attorney Goff had such grace and compassion for me during a very difficult time I faced. He told me what I needed to do during one of the most emotional moments in my life. Add, Thank you for being and Man of God and a total professional. I can see why you are successful, it is your love of people. Thank you! 5 of 5 stars. GW 10.12.17"

"I used both Shelley and Addison for various domestic issues including a divorce and legal aspects of estate management including a will. I was extremely pleased with both. Their work was consistently professional, timely, and clear. I was able to understand all my legal options as they provided including their recommendations based on their vast legal experience. 5 of 5 stars. JK 10.12.17"

Contact Us



Physical Address
612 North Vienna Street
Ruston, Louisana 71270

Mailing Address
PO Box 2050
Ruston, Lousisana 71273

Copyright 2018 Goff & Goff Attorneys P.C. | Disclaimer and Required Disclosures | A Website Design by Ahrens Technologies

Copyright 2018 Goff & Goff Attorneys P.C. | Disclaimer and Required Disclosures | A Website Design by Ahrens Technologies