Common Legal Jargon and Legalese
- Plaintiff – a person who brings a case against another person or entity in a court of law.
- Defendant – a person or entity sued or accused in a court of law.
- Deposition – the written record of a witness’s out-of-court testimony.
- Summary Judgment – Rule of Civil Procedure 56 permits any party to a civil action to move for a summary judgment to a claim, counterclaim, or cross-claim, when he believes that there is no genuine issue of material fact and that he is entitled to prevail as a matter of law.
- Interrogatory – a written question that is formally put to one party in a case by another party and that must be answered in writing and under oath.
- Discovery – the compulsory disclosure, by a party to an action, of relevant documents or other information requested by the other party to the proceeding.
- Trial – a formal examination of evidence by a judge or jury, in order to decide guilt in a criminal case or obligations in civil proceedings.
- Product Liability – Refers to the legal liability of manufacturers and sellers to compensate buyers, users, and even bystanders, for damages or injuries suffered because of defects in goods purchased. (Click here for more information)
- Tort – wrongful act or an infringement of a right (other than under contract) leading to legal liability.
- Court of Appeal – a court that reviews the rulings of a trial (district) court.
- District Court – a state or federal trial court.
- Jury – a body of people sworn to give a verdict in a legal case on the basis of evidence submitted to them in court
- Expert – a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area.
- Succession – the action or process of inheriting a title, office, property, etc. after a person’s death.
- Heir – a person legally entitled to the property or rank of another on that person’s death
- Legatee – a person who receives a legacy from a will.
- Probate – the official proving of a will in court.
- Forced Heirship – those persons whom the testator or donor cannot deprive of the portion of his estate reserved for them by law, except in cases where he has a just cause to disinherit them.
- Will – a legal document containing instructions as to what should be done with one’s money and property after one’s death.
- Codicil – an addition or supplement that explains, modifies, or revokes a will or part of one.
- Executor (Executrix) – a person or institution appointed by a testator to carry out the terms of their will.
- Administrator (Administratrix) – a person legally appointed to manage and dispose of the estate of an intestate, deceased person, debtor, or other individual, or of an insolvent company.
Schedule a consultation to get started today.
[Veteran Pension and Medicaid Planning] I and my family are very pleased with the result of our association with Goff and Goff. Their expertise in the area of elder law [and] estate planning was just what we were looking for. Their patience with me concerning my many worries and questions was very much appreciated. They really care about their clients. JGG 11.13.18
Mr. Goff personally helped me when I was facing a possible felony, his work was extremely efficient and he kept me well updated throughout the process. Mr. Goff clearly explained all of my options and advised me on everything that I should do in order to overcome the charges. I would highly recommend Goff & Goff Attorneys to anyone that is in need of legal advice. Mr. Goff managed to make a very difficult situation easier to cope with as I was well informed and knew exactly where I stood. 5 out of 5 stars! EA 11.8.2018
I had been struggling with some questions concerning my mom and her house for a few months. I had talked to people, social workers...lawyers...friends and family and no one could give me any concrete answers. I was searching for someone that might be able to answer my specific questions, found Mr. Goff doing a google search and I am so thankful to him who within a few minutes was able to answer the questions that I had been struggling with. If you are looking for an elder law attorney, please give him a call, I don't think that you will be disappointed.5 of 5 stars. DC 10.24.18.
My case has been ongoing for the past 4 years with no results, until I decided on Goff & Goff Law Firm. My prayers were answered, and you accomplished in 1 year what others could not succeed in doing. I am so very grateful you accepted my case. I would like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude and thanks for representing. 5 of 5 stars. RA 9.28.17.
Excellent. I hired Ms. Goff for a name change there was some complications on my end but Ms Goff was professional, responsive and did everything I could ask for from a lawyer. 5 of 5 stars. Ab 10.12.17.
This Law firm is well Established. With that being said, the key to any Law firm is Production. This is what I can truly say as a proud client of this firm. They have caring hearts, & caring Hands with their clients. Humbly submitted, 5 of 5 stars. AC 7.6.14
"Child Custody. Ms Shelley was outstanding!!! I highly recommend her. I was seeking help with visitation and ended up getting my son completely. My life has changed completely because of Ms Shelley. She has shown me that fathers have just as much rights to their child as mothers do. This was a learning and life changing experience. Thank you Ms Shelley A. Goff. 5 of 5 stars. T 6.28.16"
"Excellent Attorney. I’m highly pleased with Mr. Goff's services, the diligence and expertise he provided were excellent. I would not hesitate to use him in the future. Mr. Goff handled my case personally, the diligence and expertise he provided excelled above and beyond my expectations. He took time to address any issues or concerns I had, provided guidance, and made sure I was informed of everything taking place throughout the suit. I'm highly pleased with the services. 5 of 5 stars. CS 10.3.2017"
"Passion. Attorney Goff had such grace and compassion for me during a very difficult time I faced. He told me what I needed to do during one of the most emotional moments in my life. Add, Thank you for being and Man of God and a total professional. I can see why you are successful, it is your love of people. Thank you! 5 of 5 stars. GW 10.12.17"
"I used both Shelley and Addison for various domestic issues including a divorce and legal aspects of estate management including a will. I was extremely pleased with both. Their work was consistently professional, timely, and clear. I was able to understand all my legal options as they provided including their recommendations based on their vast legal experience. 5 of 5 stars. JK 10.12.17"